Monday, March 24, 2014

Log 2

After I paid a visit to my Aunt to (whom as always has the irritating worldview of any other woman or child) to allow her to see me off, I boarded a French steam ship and was on my way by sea, traveling up the coast until we reached the mouth of the Congo river, where I transferred vessels.


  I was reminded by the kind captain (and fellow seaman) of the ship that this journey would not be an easy one; some poor soul had actually taken his own life prior to reaching the stations. This served as a humble reminder to maintain my awareness while on this job, though it was not difficult to see the mindset of this man when we arrived at the Company station. It looked simply dreadful and disorganized to put it mildly. The natives of the area were even taken to supervising the violence of their own kinsmen- a fairly ineffective method of regulation of I were asked. The wastefulness of the time and energy spent tearing down a nearby rock formation is even more foolish and appears to serve no purpose economic or otherwise. I have harsh criticisms towards the management of this Station.


I am not a soft man by any stretch of the imagination, but the scene that I saw regarding the state of the native savages was concerning and I daresay disturbing. The most that I could do was offer the souls that I had passed a biscuit that I had been saving for the journey; the looks of them told that they had not had the privilege of even looking upon food for days. As predicted, the poor management of the Station demonstrated nothing but indifference.


 After reaching the actual station, I encountered a finely-dressed man that introduced himself as the Company accountant, who informed me (to my dismay) that I would be expected to entertain myself for all of 10 days before a caravan could come accompany me to the next Station. He also tells me the purpose of my impending journey- to find a man by the name of 'Kurtz.' I assume that he is of some importance, as I was requested to tell a white lie about the 'satisfactory' condition of this station. 
I wonder, who is this man and why do they report to him?
So while I write this musing, I wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment